Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

16 Week Visit.

My 16 week visit was last Tuesday. The visit with my Doctor was pretty exciting. We got to hear the baby's heartbeat! The heart rate was 145. It sort of blew me away - it is now totally real that I have something alive growing in my uterus! I went in with the idea that I wanted to express how concerned I am about my cervix. So before I went I did my research and was prepared with questions and suggestions. The cervix begins "feeling" weight by the 17th week so I wanted to make sure things were good before the weight begins. I reminded him that he told me we would watch my cervix through the pregnancy and I wanted to know how we were going to "watch" it. I was prepared to ask for a cervical ultrasound and give him a little speech, but he suggested it first. So he called down to ultrasound and they worked me in.

It is actually called a transvaginal ultrasound, but it is not as bad as it sounds. It is actually pretty amazing that just from this little wand they can see, take pictures, and measure things inside of you. The ultrasound tech said my cervix looked long she took a few measurements and pictures and then said lets take a look up top! I was so excited to see the baby, but at the same time a little disappointed that Brandon wasn't there. Since they had to work me in he didn't stay becasue he had a meeting and we had no idea how long we were going to have to wait. She took quite a few pictures. The baby was moving all around the whole time she was looking. She measured the head and the femur to check gestational age to be sure I was right about my last period. I made sure she knew that we don't want to know the sex so that she didn't accidentally show that part. She said things were still really little and she may or may not be able to see, but she told me to make sure before they touch me for my screening to tell them we don't want to know the sex becasue at that point it will be very obvious and because of my history to make sure when he orders my screening that he orders another transvaginal as well.

After they were finished they gave me lots of pictures and a report to bring back to Dr. Binder. By the time I got back to his office he was already gone for the day. When Karen, his nurse looked at the report she said that I should have a seat she wanted to give him a call and tell him what was measured. Concerned me a little. I heard her tell him the length was either 3.12 or 3.14 - centimeters I assume, so then all sorts of things started running through my mind. Turns out that's an ok length and he told her to tell me that's good and he'll see me next time! Yay!

I can't figure out how to get my u/s pictures posted. I don't have them digitally so I had to scan them, but now I can't crop them and it's just a big pain. Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out and get one posted!

So here we go for the next four weeks. They go by SO quickly. It seems like I have been to the Doctor a million times already and I am just barely into my 2nd trimester so it hasn't even gotten more frequent yet!

In other news I am starting to show a little. I can no longer wear my regular pants. I have to place an order for a few things because I only have two pairs of maternity jeans and OMG they are SO comfy! I don't know how I will go back to real pants after the baby is born...

2 comments:

Brooke Cailleteau said...

I'm getting so excited for you! I am glad everything looked good at your appointment. Keep on that doctor, you have to stand up for your concerns!

You won't want to go back to real pants after the baby, at first. :) I wore maternity pants for a while, but I am back in normal pants now and lovin' it.

Leslie said...

Since they'll be checking ur cervix you'll prob get to see the baby all the time, huh? I'm jealous :-)