Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Still Waiting

This is the first chance I've had to sit down and really put some thought into a post.

Between finishing the semester, Thanksgiving, Christmas, work, doctor appointments, getting the baby's room ready, washing clothes and anything else that I can think of that needs to be done before the baby gets here I have had absolutely no time for ANYTHING else!

Things have still been going really well. I have been going to the doctor once a week for the last four weeks but the appointments have been uneventful for the most part. The first week he checked my cervix there was no action...no dilation, no softening. The second week he just said your cervix is still closed. After my appointment I was given copies of my records to keep with me at all times just in case I wouldn't be able to get to Woman's Hospital. When I checked out what he wrote for that day's appointment it said, cervix closed, 50%, -2! I got a little nervous and a little excited at the same time and I was really curious about why he didn't say anything. Maybe he didn't want to get my hopes up, I don't know. He scheduled for an ultrasound before my next appointment and sent me on my way. This week he was on vacation so I had to see a nurse practitioner. I wasn't too excited about it and even less excited when I was at Woman's for more than two hours. I don't have patience as it is, and especially less since I have been pregnant.

Everything with the ultrasound was fine and luckily we are still oblivious to the sex of the baby. Dr. Binder ordered a Bio-Physical Profile of the baby and we scored 8 out of 8 which means the baby is in good health and is still perfectly happy in the womb! The baby weighs 7lbs 12ozs. This causes them worry that the baby will be too big come delivery time and of course there is a term for it. Macrosomia. I was given three options: 1. Continue with the pregnancy 2. Elective induction or 3. Elective C-Section, of course I chose to continue with pregnancy. I can't imagine why any one would ever "elect" to have their baby cut from their body, medical necessity is one thing, but I just can't imagine choosing to have my abdomen cut open.

I am worried though that when I see Dr Binder again on Tuesday he is going to want to induce. I understand that big babies are not easy to deliver, but induction is really not what I want. I just have a fear that if I am induced I will end up not being able to handle the contractions because from what I have read the oxytocin that they give you to induce causes contractions to be more intense or that I will end up in a c-section.

All I can do is see what Tuesday brings.

In the mean time - I AM tired of being pregnant and so ready for our baby to arrive so I can cuddle and snuggle and love him or her!

Also here is a few 36 week shots from the pictures Leslie took of us. We were too cheap to go to a professional, so we went this route and I am THRILLED with what we've got! My sister did a GREAT job!






1 comment:

Brooke Cailleteau said...

Katie, good for you for sticking to your guns about the induction/c-section. Our bodies are MADE to deliver babies. :) I wouldn't choose to be cut open either.

The pictures are beautiful!